Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Faith without deeds is dead....

My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does.

If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. John 1:19-27


I know I keep referring to this scripture, but God keeps reminding me of it. Not only when I read His word, but in music and even secular books. In our culture we choose to look the other way and hide behind the excuse of one person not being able to change the world. Or we let someone else do the dirty work; missionaries, humanitarians, politicians even celebrities. I say that's unacceptable. It doesn't matter who you are. We don't have to be rich,the next best thing or a household name. God wants us to obey HIM. Not save the world.(That's His job!) He wants us to first read His word and then obey what He says. It really is that simple.

Brooke Fraser is a phenomenal musician from New Zealand. She is a part of Hillsong United, a Christian worship band, and also has her own solo stuff. I discovered this song right when God was really speaking to us about the time being NOW to adopt. This song hits me to the core.

"Now that I have seen, I am responsible
Faith without deeds is dead
Now that I have held you in my own arms, I cannot let go 'til you are..."


I haven't physically held an Ethiopian child in my arms yet, or witnessed a mother or father dying from AIDS, or heard the cries of an abandoned baby in a dumpster, but the Lord has placed a burden so heavy on my heart I can no longer be still.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was about to say " Wow, I just started learning about Brooke Fraser" but then I remembered it was on the Ignite website that I saw a video Chris had put up with her.

Anyway... I think we see so often the pictures of these African children in huts smiling, gathering around the missionary or around the singer - that we become numb to it. But if you stop for a minute - look in their face. There is a soul behind those eyes. A soul God created with a purpose but a soul that has been hurt and is alone and needs guidance. Not just a soul that we can say "aaahhh" and then move one. A soul that needs our help. God bless you guys for committing to take one of those souls (or two or...) and guiding them to a life of love and happiness and purpose.