Saturday, January 3, 2009

three boxes


Grace and Jack snuggling in the coveted "top bunk"!

As we have been nesting in preparation for the girls homecoming I have found myself experiencing waves of emotion. Relief, that we are almost at the end of our long wait. Anxiety, not knowing how they will fit into our family or if they will even like us! Joy, pure raw joy knowing that I will have two more children to love and raise in the way they should go. Sadness, for what they will leave behind. Love, for two precious children who I have never met.

Part of our setting up of the rooms was making a special place for three special boxes. These aren't just any old boxes. These are pretty wooden jewelery boxes, each with their own beautiful song and made with the best kind of love. The love only a grandfather can give.

You see, when I was a bratty teenager (and I was VERY bratty), my dear father made me the most beautiful jewelry chest. All curvy and smooth, velvety on the inside with an inlaid wood design on the top. It is really pretty. At the time I didn't much appreciate it. Now it is a treasured item that always gets a special place on the dresser. I store my most treasured possessions and trinkets in it that have been and will be handed down from generation to generation.

When my little Gracie was born my dad made her a special jewelry box of her own. It too is curvy and velvety on the inside- but has a beautiful inlaid shell on the top and plays a sweet tune when opened. A few weeks ago I was admiring it as I was helping Grace to bed and the thought crossed my mind that M and G will also need a special box to call their own. But it was a fleeting thought and I didn't think much more of it.

Christmas morning arrived and under the tree at my parents house sat two wrapped presents. One for M and one for G. I didn't even think about the jewelry box. I thought it was probably something practical. The girls don't even have shoes for heaven sakes! Chris got to open one and I got to open the other. We tore into them like children and when I realized what they were I just lost it like a baby. Even now as I write my eyes are welling up at the thought of my father creating these beautiful boxes for the granddaughters that he has never met. Not only were there jewelery boxes, but tiny golden cross necklaces waiting inside.(we left those to be unwrapped by the girls!) One box plays "Amazing Grace" and the other "How Great Thou Art". It was the best moment I have had so far through all this waiting. Knowing that it is not just Chris and I that feel love for two girls on the other side of the earth. My family has embraced them as well and is waiting along side us, preparing and longing to love and hold them.

So- the girls room is finished. Walls freshly painted. Bunk beds up. Bedding washed and beds made. Three wooden boxes sit side by side. One is full and already collecting memories. Two are waiting to be filled with love.
Thank you Meme & Papa. We love you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this. What a precious, precious gift your dad has given his granddaughters. When I got handmade gifts for David and Abby-- from my grandmother and from one of my best friends, they were some of the most treasured.
It is so incredible to realize that your family has embraced not only your decision to adopt but also the children themselves.
When we arrived back at BWI after getting David, my grandmother, aunts, uncles, and cousins SURPRISED us by meeting us at the airport. Lou's and my families were there, and we knew we had their love and support, but this was so unexpected. It was an awesome (very tearful!) moment. You have many more to look forward to, Becky. God bless you, Chris, Grace, and Jack as your journey continues. BTW, Jack told me all about G and M's bunks on Sunday in nursery. He is so cute. : >

Anonymous said...

I have lost count at how many times I have cried after reading a post...what a sweet family you have. I am so excited and scared for you guys, thinking and praying for you so often.

Diann said...

I often read, but never comment. However this beautiful story tugged at my heart and made me cry. How loved your girls are!

Anonymous said...

Oh Becky, what a wonderful story. I am still crying as I write this. My father is also very handy and has built a few things for me (and Tracy) including a cradle that we have both used for our children. This year, he made a toy box to give to Owen for Christmas, and it is so meaningful and sentimental to me. I loved reading this post, and I hope that M and G will treasure their boxes as much as I am sure your father loved making them. What a gift!

Anonymous said...

i have not been following your blog lately but was so touched by the latest entry. what a wnderful gift to treasure! it's getting really close you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

gracious that made me cry...