Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Do angels drive white trucks?

Yesterday we had a really scary experience. I had just picked up Grace from her art class and she had a big bag of goodies, as they had celebrated Valentines Day. She pulled out a big gummy heart and tried to give Jack a bite. It was WAY too chewy and big for him so I told her just to throw it away. Before I could hand her a bag to put it in, Jack had shoved the whole thing in his mouth! I came to a stop sign and looked in my rearview mirrow and saw Jack with his eyes as big as saucers. He wasn't making any sound and I realized that he was choking. I was stuck at a busy intersection and didn't know what to do - so as soon as the traffic cleared I pulled across the street, parked and jumped out as fast as I could to get to him. He was choking pretty badly at this point and I started to panic. I was hitting his back and had stuck my finger down his throat with no success. His face was turning blue and we were getting really scared- I screamed out "Somebody help me!" - and started to REALLY freak out! Right when I said that - a man was standing behind me and calmly said "Is everything alright, what happened?" I told him that he had gotten a hold of a gummy candy and it was stuck in his throat. He took Jack and held him up and said "Hi buddy, I am a firefighter, are you okay?" Jack immediately calmed down and just stared at the man. He looked at me and then started screaming. That stinkin' gummy heart must have finally slid down his throat and he was breathing again. The fireman said "That's a good sign!" and handed him back to me. I thanked him and he got back in his white truck and drove off without a word. Poor little Jack was so scared and Grace too. She had her face buried in her coat the entire time. It was a scary experience for all of us! God used that nice fireman yesterday to help us out and make sure my little Jack was okay. He was our angel!
After all the drama had settled and we were asking Jack about it later in the day he had quite a funny story to tell. Here's how the conversation went:

Mommy: That was scary today, wasn't it buddy?
Jack: Yeah, candy got stuck.
Mommy: And that nice man stopped and helped us didn't he!?
Jack: Yeah, fiah fighta (big smile)
Mommy: Do you know who else was watching over us and helping us? (we had talked about how Jesus was watching over us earlier)
Jack: Uh-huh, Darth-Vader

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh my goodness! I am sure you were terrified. I am so glad that he is OK. I am sure that we would be amazed at how many angels God sends to help us.

Kim said...

oh my gosh I have chill bumps, in my opinion he really was an angel! I know God can do that, he puts angels charge over us! I recently had a scary experience with my 3 year old, he was OD on morphine and almost died. Fire fighters saved his life. WOw very cool.
kim

Unknown said...

I can absolutely believe you had an encounter with an angel. I am just so grateful that Jack is okay, and I can completely empathize with your horrible fear and panic. Praise the Lord it turned out as it did!
P.S. I would blame Pastor Keith for the Darth Vader/Jesus mix-up.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joy said...

Wow! I can only imagine how scary that was. Praise God! Isn't amazing how He takes care of us? I know we shouldn't be surprised, but it is still amazing to contemplate his goodness and fatherly love for us.
Take care,
Joy

Joe Martino said...

Wow, we had a choking experience with Kendra (actually something called a dry drowning) and it was awful. Praise God that it went down.